E-mail MeRichard Postma
Richard Postma has practiced law since 1994. He brings a diverse background of public service and experience to his clients. He is licensed in Alaska and Colorado, and was the President of the Anchorage Bar Association for 2011.
Richard grew up in Kentucky, Texas, South America, Louisiana, and Colorado. He enlisted in the U.S. Army after high school, served as an airborne infantryman, and demonstrated superior organizational and leadership skills among his peers to be awarded a full ROTC scholarship. Richard attended the University of Colorado at Boulder on this scholarship, where he earned a reserve officer's commission and a bachelors' degree in Business Finance in 1991. He then attended the University of Denver College of Law where he was a member of the law review. He received his J.D. in 1994.
After law school, Richard served as a U.S. Army officer and military attorney for the U.S. Army JAG Corps from 1995 to 2000. As a JAG officer, Richard served as a legal assistance attorney, a military prosecutor, a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, and the Chief of Claims for U.S. Army Alaska. After fulfilling his service commitment, Richard entered private practice and later was appointed an Assistant Attorney General with the State of Alaska Department of Law in 2003, where he emphasized employment, labor, civil rights and appellate law. In 2007, Richard was appointed by the governor to be a state district court judge. He returned to private practice in 2011, and joined the Law Office of Mitchell K. Wyatt in 2012.
Richard brings nineteen years of diverse legal experience, knowledge and training to the table to help his clients troubleshoot, problem-solve, strategically plan, negotiate and (if necessary) litigate to protect their legal rights and interests. He enjoys working with diverse clients from all walks-of-life, and is motivated by the day-to-day challenge and satisfaction of helping others navigate through the legal system to bring closure to their legal problems. Richard's diverse background and life experiences give him a keen interest in helping disadvantaged, underprivileged or "underdog" members of our community assert or defend their legal and civil rights, particularly in areas of law against those with financial or social influence who have a "thumb on the scales of justice" advantage within the court system. Richard is a former President of the Anchorage Bar Association, and is a member of Wealth Counsel, an organization of more than 2,500 attorneys nationwide devoted to business and estate planning.
Richard is a proud husband and a father of three daughters. He is active in the local community, and spends his spare time coaching children's soccer, volunteering at church and for his children's school activities, and spending time with his family, friends and neighbors.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Child Custody & Support
- Business and Estate Planning
- Business Law
- Real Estate
- Employment Law and Civil Rights
- Administrative Law
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Alaska, 2000
- U.S. District Court District of Alaska, 2000
- Colorado, 1994
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2001
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 1995
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1996
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D. - May, 1994
- Honors: Law Review
- University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, Colorado
- B.S. - May, 1991
- Major: Business Finance
- Schaub v. Schaub, 305 P3d 337 (Alaska 2013)
- McCarter v. McCarter, 303 P.3d 509 (Alaska 2013)
- Stephanie W. v. Maxwell V., 274 P.3d 1185 (Alaska 2012)
- Parsons v. State, Dept. of Revenue, Alaska Housing Finance Corp.,, 189 P.3d 1032 (Alaska 2008)
- VECO Alaska, Inc. v. State, Dept. of Labor, Div. of Worker's Compensation, Second Injury Fund, 189 P.3d 983 (Alaska 2008)
- State of Alaska, Office of the Governor v. E.E.O.C., 508 F.3d 476 (9th Circuit 2007)
- Anchorage Baptist Temple v. Coonrod, 166 P.3d 29 (Alaska 2007)
- Hartman v. State, Dept. of Admin, Div. of Motor Vehicles, 152 P.3d 1118 (Alaska 2007)
- Nevers v. State, Dept. of Admin, Div. of Motor Vehicles, 123 P.3d 958 (Alaska 2005)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Anchorage Bar Association, Board of Directors, former President (2011), August 30, 2007 - Present