Paternity can establish your right to raise your child

Alaska fathers may not have been married when their children were born, but that does not mean they aren't rightful parents. If you break up with the mother, however, you might not be able to see your child again unless you take legal action.

The law does not guarantee you custody or visitation rights until you establish paternity. Paternity is your legal connection to your child. This label confirms that you are the father and deserve the same parenting rights as a married spouse.

In order to establish paternity, you will need to prove that you are the biological father, which you may verify through genetic DNA testing. This will allow you to pursue child custody so that you can continue to raise your child. If a court denies custody, you may still receive visitation rights to maintain the bond you have in other ways.

However, be aware that establishing paternity could also make you responsible for child support payments. The law sometimes requires legal fathers to help pay for their child's expenses, including medical, food and shelter-related bills. These payments can help your child keep the same lifestyle they would have if you were living with or married to the mother.

Although mothers obtain automatic parenting rights as soon as the child is born, fathers do not have to suffer simply because of the biological process of birth. As a dad, you can continue to raise and love your child even if you are no longer with the mother. For this reason, establishing legal paternity is an indispensible opportunity for fathers.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
You are not alone. We are here for you. Let us be your voice.

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyatt & Butterfield, LLC
310 K Street Suite 200
Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: 907-331-6979
Fax: 888-455-1236
Anchorage Law Office Map