Grandparents' Rights Archives

How grandparents can obtain rights to their grandchildren

Grandparents in Alaska can obtain custody or visitation rights with their grandchildren if it is in the child's best interest. Such rights are generally granted when a child is put up for adoption or if the parents are deceased. In some states, at least one parent must be deceased before grandparents can have visitation rights with the child. In others, the marital status of the parents is more important.

Rights of grandparents in Alaska

In the state of Alaska, a grandparent may be entitled to either custody or visitation rights to a grandchild. However, state law does note that the child's parents will be granted custody over a non-parent if possible. Generally, grandparents can get custody if the parent is unfit or if there is a child welfare issue if the non-parent is not granted custody.

You are not alone. We are here for you. Let us be your voice.

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyatt & Butterfield, LLC
310 K Street Suite 200
Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: 907-331-6979
Fax: 888-455-1236
Anchorage Law Office Map