Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

Wyatt Butterfield LLC logo

We Can Help. Call Now.


Family Law For Men.
Estate Planning And Elder Law For Everyone.

Family Law For Men.
Estate Planning And Elder Law For Everyone.

Child custody orders and visitation

by | Oct 26, 2018 | Family Law For Husbands

Parents in Alaska who want to spend more time with their children may need to petition a court for more visitation. If visitation has been denied by the court or by a custodial parent, there are several things that non-custodial parents can do.

It is rare for courts to deny a biological parent all visitation. In some cases, a parent may be denied visitation if the court believes that they pose a threat to a child’s mental or emotional well-being. Most of the time a parent can request a modification of an order suspending visitation after completing requirements imposed by a court such as drug testing, parenting classes or anger management.

Many courts will order supervised visitation as an alternative to suspending visitation completely. It is important for parents who have been ordered to attend supervised visitation to completely understand all court orders, comply with all requirements and avoid missing any supervised visitation appointments.

Sometimes a custodial parent may deny visitation without a court’s permission. This may be due to a variety of reasons, including anger at the non-custodial parent, transportation issues or concerns about a child’s wellbeing. It is important for non-custodial parents to try to resolve any problems they have with the custodial parent if they can and document conversations about the scheduled visitation to the extent allowed by state law.

An attorney experienced in family law for husbands may be able to help parents who have been denied visitation. Family law attorneys for husbands may be able to assist non-custodial parents by advising them about the terms of any previous court orders and what steps they can take to request more visitation from the court.

If a custodial parent has denied a non-custodial parent visitation that was ordered by the court, the non-custodial parent may be able to file a petition for contempt against the custodial parent. An attorney may be able to advise parents who are in this situation of their rights.