Estate Planning Attorney Anchorage AK: Prepared to Protect Your Future
Many Alaskans make the mistake of waiting for estate planning until it’s too late. From trusts to wills to powers of attorney, an estate planning attorney in Anchorage, AK, can help you create a comprehensive estate plan to protect your wealth and preserve your wishes.
Top Estate Planning Attorney Anchorage AK
Having an estate plan is critically important as it will determine the division of your assets at the end of your life or if you are incapacitated. It will also protect your loved ones from unnecessary disputes and offer you peace of mind knowing your beneficiaries are well provided for.
A comprehensive estate plan ensures that your beneficiaries receive the assets you have accumulated in a manner that minimizes income tax, gift tax, estate tax, among other taxes. It also allows you to have a platform that can be fine-tuned as your financial and personal situations change.
People who need to plan their estates may have assets such as debt, houses, pensions, cars, life insurance, artwork, and stocks that make up their estate. The reasons for planning an estate vary from needing to preserve family wealth, funding children’s education, leaving a legacy to a charitable cause, or providing for a surviving spouse.
As estate planning and elder law attorneys in Anchorage, Alaska, we are committed to helping generations of families with asset protection planning and other financial matters and health care as it relates to estate planning, elder law, and Medicaid planning.
We’ll offer you our undivided attention and help you establish provisions that are in your best interest. The many issues many families and seniors face are better addressed through wise and pre-emptive measures before a crisis arises. We can offer sound advice and help to draw up the important legal documents that will ensure that your wishes are carried out.
If you or a loved one is past the age of retirement and needs to address critical issues related to elder law and end-of-life planning, we’ll be sure that your concerns and rights are taken care of. We handle estate planning and elder care law needs and understand state statutes and how to apply them to work for you. We also serve Wasilla, Eagle River, Chugiak, and other nearby areas in South Central Alaska.
Contact Wyatt & Butterfield, LLC‘s team of law professionals for a consultation to plan for your future. Call our office at 907-331-6979.
Estate Planning Lawyers and Your Estate Plan
The will is usually an essential step in the estate plan which is perhaps why most people think of it when they hear of estate planning. However, estate planning is not all about a will as it may also include plans for:
- Limiting estate taxes via the establishment of trust accounts for the benefit of the beneficiaries
- Setting up power of attorney to direct investments and assets
- Appointing a guardian for living dependents
- Establishing annual donations to qualified nonprofits and charitable organizations to reduce the taxable estate
- Appointing an executor of the will
- Setting up funeral arrangements
- Updating or creating beneficiaries on plans such as 401(K)s, IRAs, and life insurance
An estate plan is unique to your particular set of circumstances, even though it should change with your changing financial circumstances and other life changes. However, the most fundamental components of your estate plan will likely need to include:
- A will – This sets out who represents your estate in probate court and who will receive your assets upon death or incapacitation.
- Medical Directive – a set of written instructions for treatment preferences in case you become incapacitated by illness.
- Power of attorney – Authority for trusted individuals to make financial and medical decisions on your behalf if you are unable to.
- A trust – An instrument that takes ownership of your assets which will then pass on to your beneficiaries without going through probate court.
- Conservatorship and Guardianship – These are people you designate to run the everyday finances and make the decisions if you are unable to.
If you are looking for an estate planning attorney in Anchorage, Alaska, contact us today, and we will take care of all your concerns and provide the legal advice you need to plan your estate. Our law office has consistently received rave reviews for our Anchorage estate planning services for our superior service, integrity, and excellence. With our team on your side, you can be sure you are in the right hands.
Estate Lawyers Anchorage for Estate Planning and Probate
Standing among the top attorneys in Anchorage, Alaska, for anything to do with estate planning, wills, trusts, and probate, we provide estate planning and legal services to people who need to plan their estate. We also assist friends and family members named executors or personal representatives of an estate.
Given that we have been in the industry for years, we understand the relevant technical issues and legal procedures and are prepared to guide you through the process with minimal fuss.
Our probate attorneys are sensitive to family dynamics and will help you deal with the challenges of the probate court. Our goal is to help individuals needing estate planning services or guidance in the probate process distribute their assets legally, promote family harmony, avoid unnecessary conflict, and help executors discharge their duties.
Why Hire an Estate Attorney in Anchorage?
As a high-net-worth individual, we understand that you are very busy and may not have the time to handle essential estate planning issues.
The setting up of wills, trusts, and probate are some of the most important things that people put off. But given how important they are in estate planning, you need to take care of them as soon as you can.
One of the best ways to do this is by engaging estate planning attorneys with the experience and skill to do it for you. At the law office of Wyatt & Butterfield, we have the necessary processes and a dedicated attorney to help you throughout the process.
We are a full-service estate planning law firm in Anchorage, Alaska, that provides legal services in estate administration, wills, trusts, estate tax planning, planned giving, charitable bequests, business succession planning, and probate, among others.
How to Find an Estate Planning Lawyer
Asking questions and understanding the estate planning process is one of the most effective ways to choose your professional. Here is how to do it:
- Understand what the attorney will do for you. An Anchorage estate planning law firm or attorney will provide several services, and you need to narrow down your possibilities. Since most plans are about control over asset distribution upon death, a good estate planning attorney will need to learn about you, your family, and your business to address each in the estate plan.
- Ask about their areas of focus. The best attorney for your Anchorage estate planning needs is one who narrowly focuses on estate planning. While many attorneys work in a broad range of legal disciplines, an estate planning legal professional will have a better understanding of the law and due to their experience, will have mastered their craft better.
- They need to be interested in you or your business. Planning your estate is typically a very personal thing with unique circumstances. A good lawyer asks the right questions about your family, business, and financial situation rather than one who works with a template.
- Get referrals from family and friends. If you have friends or family that recently worked with an Anchorage estate planning attorney, they could provide references, suggestions, and recommendations. The good thing about referrals is you know friends and family will suggest someone in your area that is a good fit.
How to Choose Estate Planning Attorney
As we grow older, we have to face complicated issues that can significantly impact our living arrangements, finances, and medical care. When you start planning for your family’s future, you need a lawyer who knows Alaska law, can answer all your questions and concerns, and explain what that means for your family.
If you are in Anchorage, Alaska, and are looking for an experienced estate planning lawyer, then you should contact the law office of Wyatt & Butterfield. We can help you accomplish your estate planning goals and deal with estate administration, Alaska probate law, estate taxes, and provide other estate planning services. We have a comprehensive understanding of the law on wills, trusts, probate, and estate planning law, as evidenced by the many positive reviews on our website.
How Much Do Estate Planning Lawyers Charge?
The cost of an estate plan depends on the complexity of the work you need to be done by your estate planning attorney. A good estate planning attorney will usually recommend a combination of tools and strategies, and what you decide to go with will determine the cost. However, there are three common fee structures that lawyers will use that include contingency fees, billable hours, and flat fees. When you meet with your lawyer, they can provide a better understanding of what their legal services will cost based on the unique circumstances of your case.
If you are looking for a trusted estate planning and probate lawyer in Anchorage, AK, you are invited to call the law office of Wyatt & Butterfield for your first consultation today. We are a top-rated legal firm with experienced and skilled lawyers who will provide the legal services and advice you need to look toward the future with confidence. We look forward to assisting you!