Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

Wyatt Butterfield LLC logo

We Can Help. Call Now.


Family Law For Men.
Estate Planning And Elder Law For Everyone.

Family Law For Men.
Estate Planning And Elder Law For Everyone.

Should my ex-wife and I “nest” with our children?

by | Aug 26, 2020 | Family Law For Fathers

By far, the most common variety of child custody agreement following a divorce is co-parenting. Co-parenting is when both parents share physical and legal custody of children. The court system has greatly modernized over the past 20 years: it used to be that the mother would automatically get custody of children after a divorce, but this is no longer the case.

However, co-parenting comes with its own set of challenges. One of these challenges is moving children between two separate households. One way to solve this problem is to choose a “nesting” agreement where the children stay in the same house and the parents rotate in and out, according to Psychology Today.

How does nesting work?

This depends upon the situation, but typically nesting involves the children staying in one domicile and the mother and father rotating out as per the co-parenting agreement. This has a number of benefits for the children: being able to stay in the family home is often a great way to offer your children additional stability through your divorce.

Another potential benefit is keeping children in a particular public school district if you and your ex-wife cohabitated in an expensive neighborhood. You may not be able to maintain two separate households in the same neighborhood, so nesting is a way to ensure that your children get to continue their education uninterrupted.

Where do I live when not “on-duty?”

Again, different families approach this differently. In some instances, the off-duty parent will go live with family or friends while the other parent is in the house. In others, the parents agree to rent a separate apartment for the off-duty parent to reside in.