Anchorage Family Law Blog For Men

Post-divorce parenting

When couples in Alaska divorce, emotions often run high. This is especially true when the spouses have minor children and must now negotiate issues such as child support and custody. In most cases, both mothers and fathers are committed to doing what is best for the children, even if the divorce has led to resentment.

For many parents, divorce is a good time to reassess the image they have of their soon-to-be former spouse. Unless abuse has been a factor in the relationship, one could benefit from being able to appreciate their former spouse as a parent. This means understanding and prioritizing the importance of the relationship between the child and the other parent.

Fathers have an important role to play

Many fathers in Alaska do not have physical custody of their children, but that does not mean they are uninvolved in their children's lives. For example, many non-custodial parents share legal custody of the kids, meaning that they have a right to participate in the major decisions about a child's upbringing, education and health care. In addition, many fathers who do not have custody do have extensive visitation rights and are paying child support to cover their kids' expenses.

While some fathers do owe back child support, most non-custodial fathers are very committed to supporting their children's growth and care. In addition, many fathers without custody are heavily involved in their children's lives, education and activities, supporting their interests and enjoying a warm, loving relationship. In fact, most non-custodial parents work very hard to protect their parent-child relationships, even when they are made more difficult by circumstances or by actively negative behavior from the other parent.

Social media posts can jeopardize a custody battle

If you don’t think that your tweet will end up in family court, think again. Whether you’re fighting for custody or challenging a child support order, one social media slip-up as a father can land you in a compromising position if you aren’t careful. It is true that actions speak louder than words and some things are better left unsaid, or, in this case, unshared. Here are three ways that your posts on social media can affect your custody case, for the worst.


How fathers should act during custody proceedings

Both mothers and fathers in Alaska have the right to pursue custody of their children. However, there are certain tips that fathers should remember when going through the process. For example, dads will benefit from a solid relationship with their children. This may mean calling regularly or otherwise making sure that the child understands that their father is available at any time.

Other evidence of a strong relationship with a child can include going to birthday parties and school events. Attending religious ceremonies and sporting events can also bolster a father's case in court. Furthermore, it's important to pay child support or otherwise support the child financially even if no order is in place.

Handling divorce while in the military

Military members in Alaska may wonder how their enlistment can affect decisions like marriage and divorce. When a military couple decides to end their marriage, they are legally the same as other U.S. couples. However, there are some factors that members of the armed forces may want to keep in mind when they reach the end of their marriage.

Family law for military members has some unique complications; a divorce can take a bit longer if one of the spouses is stationed remotely or overseas. In addition, military members may not yet be considered residents of the state where they are stationed due to requirements concerning the length of their presence there. In some cases, there are special exemptions for members of the military and a divorce can move forward under the provisions of that state.

How paternity can be established

There are a number of reasons that unmarried fathers in Alaska may need to establish paternity, many of which are done for the benefit of the child. One argument is that children should have the opportunity to know their fathers. Another reason is that it establishes a father's legal obligation to pay child support. Establishing paternity also makes a child eligible for various benefits, such as Social Security or inheritances. Finally, it may help the child to learn about any genetic medical conditions that could arise.

The process for establishing paternity differs depending on whether the father is voluntarily participating in the process. The father can sign a declaration at the time of the child's birth or an affidavit at a later date confirming paternity.

Crafting the ideal child custody schedule

Some divorced Alaska parents might question whether their child custody arrangement is a proper one. The truth is that any custody arrangement is proper as long as it works for the parents and the child. Although a common arrangement sees the noncustodial parent visiting the children on alternating weekends, this is not the only one that can be devised. For instance, a child could visit with a noncustodial parent after school or one evening a week.

If a noncustodial parent has custody of the child for a weekend, it is possible that bringing the child back at 6 p.m. on Sunday doesn't work. In such a situation, parents could choose to keep custody through the beginning of the school day on Monday. After school, the child will return home to the custodial parent. Overnight visits can also be added to a custody schedule if it is convenient for the parents and child.

Fathers can help their kids to deal with divorce

Many fathers in Alaska may be concerned about the impact of divorce on their relationship with their children. Being separated from and losing his or her connection with his or her kids can be a major concern for any divorcing parent, but especially for fathers. However, keeping some key guidelines in mind throughout the process should help fathers build a supportive environment for their children that fosters the relationship long after the divorce is finalized.

Experts recommend that parents check in with their children to make sure that they are not blaming themselves for the divorce. It is very common for children to think that the divorce is their fault even when the issues involved are solely between the adults in the relationship. It can also be important for parents to ask their kids' teachers and other adult figures in their lives about how their children seem to be dealing with the divorce. The kids should also be encouraged to continue their activities and interests, and providing children with fun distractions can also help them cope.

Property division in a divorce: top 4 factors Alaska judges use


As soon as individuals marry, they begin to acquire assets. Many purchase their first home, buy vehicles, and start investing in retirement accounts. Unfortunately, for a wide variety of reasons, marriages simply don’t work out.

Military divorce rates steady but marriages down

Military service members in Alaska may experience challenges that put pressure on their marital relationships. The Pentagon tracks marriages and divorces among military personnel, and it reported no significant change in the overall divorce rate among military personnel between 2016 and 2017.

Out of 689,060 married troops, 21,290 people completed divorces in fiscal year 2017. For 2016, 22,500 divorces occurred among a population of 707,230 married service members. These figures place the annual divorce rate at about 3 percent, but differences emerge when looking at the data by gender. Female military members get divorced much more often than their male colleagues. Within the Army, women have a divorce rate 275 percent higher than men. Women in the Marine Corps have the highest rate of divorce currently at 7.1 percent. A researcher with Rand Corp. said that the data suggests that policies within the Marine Corps could make it difficult for women to maintain marriages.

You are not alone. We are here for you. Let us be your voice.

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyatt & Butterfield, LLC
310 K Street Suite 200
Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: 907-331-6979
Fax: 888-455-1236
Anchorage Law Office Map